Friday, October 2, 2009

It's a Shame to Waste a Good Recession

Today is my last day with ClickZ, a site I've worked for for nine years. I joined just before the dot-bomb and have weathered the ups and downs. I still like what ClickZ has to offer; its writers are the best and the information is top shelf. Really, if you want to be a better digital marketer, you need to read this site daily. Trouble is, I want to do more. I want to share what I've learned about marketing and writing with others. So I'm taking the plunge: quitting my day job and putting my efforts into my fledgling editing business.

But is this really the time to be quitting my job and putting more time into a small venture?

In a word, yes.

"This is the best time to start," says zenhabits. "This is a time when job security is low, so risks are actually lower. This is a time to be lean, which is the best idea for starting a business. This is the time when others are quitting -- so you’ll have more room to succeed."

I read today's title in an article that encouraged entrepreneurial ventures, and thought: "Yes!" (I actually thought, "Can I really do this? Is this my 'walk on the moon?" I had been toying with the idea and had been listing to a lot of Great Big Sea, but I digress.)

This certainly is a "good" recession. Budgets are still being cut, and those without jobs are having a hard time finding new ones. And I do hate waste. So I'm jumping in with both feet. I'll be working my editorial freelance business, Right Touch Editing, full time. I'll be offer all levels of editing, plus editorial training for your staff, on site or online, to lessen your need for editorial help in the long term.

Here, I'll offer you writing and editing advice to help you improve your copy and get the results from it you desire. You've already seen some of it: vocabulary builders, quick tips, quizzes, and resources. I can even help you find vendors in other publishing areas, such as designers and publishers.

So stick around. Add this blog to your RSS feed or follow me on Twitter so you don't miss a single post. Now's the best time to improve your own skills, and I can help you do that. It'd be a shame to waste a good recession.

No comments:

Post a Comment